Tuesday, 15 November 2016
From Walsh, Thomas; History of the Irish Hierarchy, cap. xxix, p. 301 ff.
Thomas O'Connor, dean of Achonry, was consecrated bishop of Elphin in 1246 and translated to the archiepiscopal see of Tuam in 1259. He sat there twenty years. While in the chair of Elphin he consecrated the church of the Dominican abbey at Roscoman.
Milo O'Connor, archdeacon of Clonmacnois, was consecrated at Dundalk by the archbishop of Armagh in 1260 and died in 1262.
His right to the see was cassated or made void on appeal to Rome and Thomas MacFarrell MacDermott succeeded in 1262. Thomas was abbot of Boyle, was twice elected before and after Milo's death. He only sat a short time and died in 1265. After the death of this prelate Hugh O Connor by force usurped the episcopal revenues.
Maurice O'Connor, a Dominican friar, succeeded on the 23d of April, 1266. He was a witness to a deed of exchange on the 28th of November, 1282, between King Edward I and the prior of St. Coman's convent at Roscoman of the lands of Rostrenin for the lands of Lisnerny. He died in 1284.
Auliffe O'Tumalty succeeeded but died soon after.
Gelasius MacJulianaid, abbot of Loughkee, was restored to the temporals on the 4th of March, 1285. He sat eleven years and died in 1296.
Malachy MacBrian, abbot of Boyle, succeeded in 1296 and died at Home about the close of the year 1302.
Donatus O'Flanigan, abbot of Boyle, who to the abbacy as well as to the bishopric succeeded in September, 1303, died in June, 1308, worn out by a tedious distemper. Donatus was much esteemed for his wisdom, hospitality and other virtues.
Charles MacJulianaig, abbot of Loughkee, elected by a portion of the canons bishop of Elphin and consecrated at Armagh in 1308, was deprived by the Pope. Charles returned to the abbacy where he died at an advanced age A.D. 1343, and Malachy MacAeda canon of Elphin succeeded by provision of Pope Clement V and obtained the royal assent on the 7th of December, 1310, was translated to Tuam in 1313.
Laurence Ó Lughtuan, some time official of Tuam, a canon of Elphin, was consecrated bishop of this see in 1313, being advanced by Pope Clement V. He died in 1325.
John O'Finsey or Ó Finachta, canon of Elphin, was elected by the dean and chapter and consecrated by his metropolitan in 1326, He died in 1354 and was buried at Elphin in the cathedral of the Virgin Mary.
Gregory, provost of Killala, was consecrated bishop of Down, supposed then vacant, promoted to the see of Elphin by Pope Innocent VI in February, 1356, thence in 1372 translated to Tuam.
Thomas Barrett, archdeacon of Enaghdune, was consecrated bishop of Elphin in 1372. He governed this see thirty two years, was the most eminent man in Ireland for wisdom and a superior knowledge of divinity. He died at Errew of Lough Con and was buried there.
John O'Grady succeeded in 1405 and died in 1417.
Robert Foster, a Franciscan friar and doctor of divinity, succeeded by provision of Pope Martin V in February, 1418.
William Ó Etegan, according to the annals of MacFirbisse, bishop of Elphin and many of the clergy of Connaught went to Rome in the year 1444. Most of them died there.
Cornelius Ó Mullaghlin, bishop of Elphin, built a Franciscan monastery at Elphin about the year 1450. The canons and inhabitants of Elphin were donors also of this church. Cornelius died A.D. 1468. It seems that he resigned some time before his death as his successor, Nicholas O'Flanigan, a Dominican friar, was bishop of Elphin in 1458. The effects of old age and a dimness of sight caused him to resign in 1494. Nicholas requested of the Pope to translate George Brann, bishop of Dromore, to the see of Elphin but it appears Cornelius was the successor in the see for some time and after his death Richard MacBrien, a Dominican friar, succeeded in 1496 and died in 1499.