Members and friends of Saint Assicus' Catholic Heritage Association made their pilgrimage to the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in the afternoon of Saturday, 17th October, for a Traditional Latin Mass.
The Cathedral was designed by English architect George Goldie (1828-1887), who was also responsible for the design of Churches in Bohola (1859), Ballymote (1859), Strokestown (1860), Gurteen (1866), and Killasser (1868). The Cathedral's design was 1867. Building took place between 1867 and 1875. It was opened on 26th July, 1874, by Paul, Cardinal Cullen and consecrated by Cardinal Cullen on 1st July, 1897.
The design is in a massive Lombard Romanesque, the only 19th Century Irish Cathedral in the Romanesque style. It is in a basilican style with the triforium gallery extended across the transepts. This effect can also be seen, 'though less correctly and with much less effect, in a Gothic context, in Ss. Peter and Paul's, Cork City. The tower reaches a height of 70 meters. The interior is 69 meters wide at the transepts and 19 meters high. The aisles continue under the triforium right through into a fine ambulatory with a corona chapel that is now a baptistery. The High Altar, surmounted by a statue of Mary Immaculate is intact under a brass baldachino. Some of the stained glass is by Lobin of Tours.